Winter cohorts run January through May, with a spring break. Summer cohorts run July through November, with a fall break. Exact program dates subject to change.
Our program is being run virtually as our top priorities are the safety of the Dog Tag staff and fellows, and maintaining the quality of our program. We are currently assessing our program model to determine what a return to in person programming and timeline would look like.
The following individuals are eligible for our program:
- Post-9/11 veterans with service-connected disabilities
- Military spouses* of post-9/11 service members (active, retired, former, Gold Star, Guard and Reserve)
- Military caregivers of post-9/11 service members
- Active service members in transition (within 6 months)
- Guard and Reserve members
For the DC program, preference will be given to those located in the mid-Atlantic region of the US; for the Chicago program, preference will be given to those located in the Midwest region of the US. However, we encourage all to apply. If you are unsure which program to choose, select "remote" when applying and we will assist in determining which program would be best.
Reference our Frequently Asked Questions page for more detailed information about eligibility, program details, and more.
*All military spouses are eligible regardless of spouse's military status or VA rating.
Please note: Dog Tag does not accept veterans and their spouses and/or caregivers simultaneously due to the intensive nature of the program and our belief in maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
About the Application Process:
- The initial eligibility form should take 5-10 minutes to complete. Once you have submitted the eligibility form and it is determined you meet the requirements, you will receive an email with a personalized link to the application. This link will be sent within 24 hours of your submission of the eligibility form, and will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The full application may take up to 1-2 hours to complete, and will require you to upload Proof of Service, VA Benefits Summary letter (if a veteran), and a Letter of Recommendation. You may save and revisit your work by clicking the "Save My Progress and Resume Later" button at the top of the page and creating an account.
- We will follow up with you about your submission by email. Please be sure the email address you include in your eligibility form is one that you check regularly. Please keep an eye on your spam folders as we have had issues in the past with these emails going to spam.
- If you have any questions about the application process please contact us at email@example.com.
Program Elements: Our Proven Recipe
The Dog Tag Fellowship Program is comprised of five integrated program areas that work together to empower veterans, military spouses and caregivers to find, pursue, achieve, and sustain their futures.
Total Program and Community-building Hours
Fellows participate in over 138 hours of programming to explore careers and gain skills through workshops with entrepreneurs, business leaders, and subject-matter experts.
Fellows work to earn a customized business certificate from a top university in 119 hours of courses, gaining foundational business skills.
Fellows spend over 113 hours solidifying lessons learned in class through immersion in Dog Tag Bakery, our small business, earning real leadership and teamwork experience.
Fellows participate in 140 hours of activities designed to provide opportunities and strategies to process their past, reflect on their current experiences, and envision their future.
Fellows spend over 57 hours utilizing strategic thinking, planning, and decision-making skills to develop a robust business plan, solidifying the value of an entrepreneurial mindset. The capstone pushes fellows to envision their futures.